Sunday, April 25, 2010

Teacher Librarian Course

Soon I must spend time sharing what I have learnt in this course so far. Before then, I am going to reflect briefly on the course itself. I am doing both subjects ETL 401 and ETL 503.

I have been very excited at much that I have learnt. Whether it's the topic of information literacy and their accompanying models or the way to evaluate a collection or write a library policy, I have learnt a lot that I am now able to apply. I am able to recognise the connections between the assignments, the reading material and the daily role of the teacher librarian.

However, I am still overwhelmed by the amount of work this course has required. This is the fourth time that I have done a university course by distance education. It it the third Masters degree or Masters degree subjects that I have undertaken. It is not the amount of reading that has to be done, or the difficulty or size of the tasks, it is the online expectations that seem to have increased the workload.

I have found the forums helpful and I have enjoyed the opportunity to help others but making those contributions has taken time. This blog has been one aspect that has not received the attention that I expect was anticipated by the University staff. The other online activity is the OZTL_NET. This has had both positive and negative aspects. There are around twenty emails per day that need to be read and either deleted, saved for future reference or replied to.

This is three online activities that have to be undertaken, in addition to the online presentation of the course material. I support the use of electronic communication. I welcome the advantage that it can bring. However, all such electronic communication adds to the time and financial burden on everyday life. I am already bearing the burden that email and the internet bring with their intrusion into domestic life.

I have taken small steps into the world of Web 2.0 in the past but I now restrict these to the needs of work and study, rather than have them take over even more of my time. I think that being aware of the various online options is important. However, I would like to reserve the right of age and wisdom to only use those forms that genuinely make life easier, not that just fill it up more.

No comments:

Post a Comment