Saturday, March 13, 2010

e-books

One of the best readings in this course has been Latham and Poe's "Evaluation and selection of new format materials". I always like to find people who agree with what I think or have experienced. In this case it is the accessibility of on-line resources. The "three-click-rule" is a beauty, as is the rest of their criteria for assessing websites. I hate being made to feel unintelligent just because I can't successfully navigate around a website. After all, I'm reasonably literate and I use a range of digital technology. It's encouraging to find that their are standards by which websites can and should be judged and that those that fail are the fault of the designers and not the user.
So we come to the case of a reading set from an e-book, available through the CSU library, I believe. I have tried three times to open the book on-line and then to download it. None has worked. Fellow students have suggested that this is a Mac problem or a school firewall problem. Both can well apply in my case. My evaluation of the suitability of e-books as a resource is nil.

No comments:

Post a Comment