Friday, December 23, 2016

The Place of Music in Twenty-first Century Education

I have just begun a MOOC designed by Dr James Humberstone from the Sydney Con. which looks at the place of technology in music education. I am learning a lot that is relevant to both of my present school roles. It's important to draw out, from examples such as Northern Beaches Christian School, principles and pedagogical approaches that can be applied even when your school infrastructure and funding doesn't run to multiple JamHub studios and 1:1 devices.

What I have seen so far is the implementation of principles and practices set out in more general texts on technology in education, such as, Leading a digital school, Edited by Mal Lee and Michael Gaffney, and obviously the texts cited by Dr Humberstone, such as Music Technology and Education: Amplifying Musicality by Andrew Brown. I am also learning new terminology for old practices such as "setting the benchmarks for productivity and creativity". I'll leave you to work out what that means.

I know that may sound as if I don't think I have much to learn and that is far from the case. I have great admiration for Stephen Harris, the principal at NBCS, with whom I used to work. He has set a benchmark for educational innovation, especially the use of technology, but also in other areas related to learning, some of which have been covered in the opening videos. I am pleased to see what Brad Fuller and Peter Orenstein have done with the opportunities given to them and, so far, satisfied that I am moving - though somewhat more gradually - along the same trajectory regarding the use of technology. It is as important to be affirmed in what you are doing as it is to be challenged to be innovative in the way we meet students' needs.

What I do look forward to discovering, is ways to move into the Re-definition level of the SAMR model. So far, I would argue, the examples shown are really only replacing or augmenting older practices and experiences with technological substitutes. You might have other opinions.
(Image from Cathy Shrock's Guide to Everything)

If the SAMR model is new to you, then you might like to find out more about it here:

SAMR and Twenty-first century learning

In the meantime, I thought that I might brazenly take this opportunity to share something of my own work. This is a link to information about a teaching kit for the Song Cycle, Compassion by Lior and Nigel Westlake.Below is a link to one of many YouTube clips of movements from Compassion.

Compassion Teaching Kit




No comments:

Post a Comment